As the name suggests, the Department of Industrial Development was established to create enabling environment for industrial growth in Uttar Pradesh. It has been reconstituted as Infrastructure & Industrial Development Department (IIDD) in the year 2007 with the merger of newly created Infrastructure Development Department.
With globalisation of the Indian economy, the Department has acquired the role of an industrial and investment facilitation body. IIDD functions as the government arm to formulate and implement industrial and infrastructure development policies and strategies according to the specific needs and objectives of enabling socio-economic development of Uttar Pradesh. In this endeavour, the Department is guided by the newly announced Infrastructure & Industrial Investment Policy-2012
In tune with its role as a facilitator of infrastructure & industrial development and investment, the Department works for investment promotion through dissemination of information on opportunities in the State. Ensuring regional balance in industrial development and level playing field for entrepreneurs, IIDD is continuously working towards creating congenial business environment in the State. Moreover, redressal of grievances and mitigation of hurdles in setting of industrial units is one its main responsibilities.
Industrial development involves the Primary sector, comprising of largely raw material extraction industries such as mining and farming; the Secondary sector, involving manufacturing, refining, and construction; and the Tertiary sector, which deals with services along with distribution of manufactured goods.
Continuous development of world-class infrastructure is crucial for industrial development. Progress has to be preceded, accompanied and followed up by infrastructure development. Under the new Industrial & Infrastructure Investment Policy-2012, increasing the land bank, construction of roads, highways and expressways, augmentation of power capacity, improvement of air transportation and development of industrial infrastructure facilities have been earmarked as priority areas.
Development requires huge infrastructure construction, which is difficult to fund with government resources, besides, private sector, with its expertise and experience, is better placed to implement major infrastructure development. Hence, the State Government has made Public Private Partnership an integral part of its policy for attracting investment in infrastructure.
For streamlining the functions of the Department, specific scope of work has been delegated to six different sections. These include:
- Pollution control and Industrial environment
- Monitoring of package referred by BIFR (Board for Industrial & Financial Reconstruction) for rehabilitation of heavy and medium scale sick industrial units
- Auto Tractor Ltd, I.T.R. Company, U.P. State Cement Corporation, The British India Corporation Ltd. & Institute of Tool Room Training U.P.
- All works related to Cement/ Alcohol / Paper / Foundry & Steel / Engineering / Petrochemicals / Chemical / Kerosene / Molasses
- Government Printing Press, Dissemination of publications
- Coordination of issues relating to replies to questions raised in Legislative Assembly / Parliament
- Coordination of issues relating to references received from Departments of Administrative Reforms, Personnel, Public Enterprises
- Disposal of cases received from the Directorate of Public Grievances / Chief Minister Office
- Issues relating to Government of India, Governments of other States & VIPs
- Financial consultancy works allocated by Industrial Development Commissioner branch
- Coordination of issues relating to Plan, Budget, Financial Approvals & Expenditure, Reporting of Public Accounts Committee (Civil/Revenue receipts)
- Works related to Appropriation Account/Draft Para/Audit Para
- Governor’s Address, Budget speech by Finance/Industries Minister
- Coordination of Review meetings held at the level of Departments of Finance and Planning
- Coordination of Public Undertaking Committee (Commercial), Government Debt/Guarantee
- Coordination among departments under administrative control of Industrial Development Commissioner
- U.P. State Industrial Development Corporation
- Industrial Area Development Act & Authority
- Infrastructure facilities for Central Public Sector projects
- Uttar Pradesh Zamindari Abolition and Land Reforms (Amendment) Act
- Development of Centre projects
- Power, Telecommunication, Water supply & drainage, Road, etc. & other infrastructure development works
- Important Private or Public projects
- Works related to Development of Drug & Pharmaceutical industry, Fertilizer projects, P.I.B.
- Land acquisition for Yamuna Expressway, NOIDA, Greater NOIDA and SEZs
- Directorate of Geology & Mining, Development of Geology & Mining excluding U.P. State Mineral Development Corporation & Aided projects (UPCCL)
- Food Processing and Agriculture based industries
- United Nations / Commonwealth Projects
- World Bank / Ford Foundation / Foreign (Internationally) Financially Aided (Funded/ Sponsored)Projects
- U.P. Tyre & Tube
- Pradeshiya Industrial & Investment Corporation of U.P., U.P. Finance Corporation
- Central Capital Subsidy, Central/State Transport Subsidy, Generating set Subsidy
- Works related to Sales Tax (VAT)/ Octroi, Excise duty
- Industry related works of Department of Labour
- Central / State Government Industrial Policy
- High Powered Committee regarding Udyog Bandhu issues
- Coordination with Industrial Chambers / Associations
- High-level Industries Advisory Board
- Press & Media related works
- Work related to Empowered Committee constituted under the Chairmanship of Chief Secretary